- Small is the smallest size recommended for production workloads.
- Select a virtual machine with 4 or 8 CPU Cores when using SQL Server Enterprise Edition.
- The ExtraSmall virtual machine size is only available by using Windows Azure SDK version 1.3 or later.
- Cloud service role instances (Web Roles and Worker Roles) require more disk space than a virtual machine due to system requirements. The system files reserve 4 GB of space for the Windows pagefile, and 2 GB of space for the Windows dumpfile.
- Some of the physical hosts in Windows Azure data centers may not support larger virtual machine sizes, such as A6 and A7. As a result, you may see the error message Failed to configure virtual machine <machine name> or Failed to create virtual machine <machine name> when resizing an existing virtual machine to a new size, creating a new virtual machine in a virtual network created before April 16, 2013, or adding a new virtual machine to an existing cloud service. See the topic Error: “Failed to configure virtual machine” on the support forum for a list of workarounds for each deployment scenario.