1）Most of us have formed an unrealistic picture of life on a desert island.
- form a picture of …= imagine … 设想、想象
2）We sometimes imagine a desert island to be a sort of paradise where the sun always shines.
- imagine...to be...把...想象成
- a sort of = a kind of 类似一种
3）Life there is simple and good. Ripe fruit falls from the trees and you never have to work.
4）The other side of the picture is quite the opposite. Life on a desert island is wretched.
- is quite the opposite = (NCE3-8 P42-L12) In winter, however, life at the monastery is quite different.
5）You either starve to death or live like Robinson Crusoe, waiting for a boat which never comes.
- which代指物引导定从，此处用定语从句目的是为了实现接续性分句并精简语句。否则就是watiting for a boat,but a boat never comes
6）Perhaps there is an element of truth in both these pictures, but few of us have had the opportunity to find out.
- there is an element of truth in ... = there is a good deal of truth in…
7）Two men who recently spent five days on a coral island wished they had stayed there longer.
- who引导定从；they had...宾从省略了that
8）They were taking a badly damaged boat from the Virgin Islands to Miami to have it repaired.
- from A to B 从A去B
- out of A towards B 从A去B
- for B from A 从A去B
9）During the journey, their boat began to sink
10）They quickly loaded a small rubber dinghy with food, matches, and cans of beer and rowed for a few miles across the Caribbean until they arrived at a tiny coral island.