1）Customs Officers are quite tolerant these days, but they can still stop you when you are going through the Green Channel and have nothing to declare.
2） Even really honest people are often made to feel guilty.
- make sb. do sth. 主动态
- be made to do sth. 被动态
3） The hardened professional smuggler, on the other hand, is never troubled by such feelings, even if he has five hundred gold watches hidden in his suitcase.
- on the other hand插入语，因为它与前面句子并非陈述同一成分；even if 引导基于假设的让步状语
4） When I returned from abroad recently, a particularly officious young Customs Officer clearly regarded me as a smuggler
- regarderd A as B 把A看出B
5）'Have you anything to declare?' he asked, looking me in the eye. 'No', I answered confidently
- look sb in the eye(s) / face 一直盯着看某人的眼
6）'Would you mind unlocking this suitcase please?' 'Not at all,' I answered.
- do you mind if（真实语气：一般现在时）
- would you mind if（虚拟语气：一般过去时）
7）The Officer went through the case with great care
- with + 名词 = 副词
- with + great care小心翼翼=小心翼翼地
8）All the things I had packed so carefully were soon in a dreadful mess.
- All the things做主语，I had packed so carefully做定语从句，关系词做了宾语被省略
9）I felt sure I would never be able to close the case again.
- (NCE3-2 P18-L14) Still, I'm glad the bell is working again.
- (NCE3-2 P18-L15) 'It's working all right, but I'm afraid that at one o'clock it will strike thirteen times and there's nothing I can do about it.'
10）Suddenly, I saw the Officer’s face light up.
11）He had spotted a tiny bottle at the bottom of my case and he pounced on it with delight
- with delight ，in / with + n. = adv.
12）'Perfume, eh?' he asked sarcastically. 'You should have declared that. Perfume is not exempt from import duty.'
13）'But it isn't perfume,' I said. 'It's hair gel.' Then I added with a smile, 'It's a strange mixture I make myself.'
14）As I expected, he did not believe me. 'Try it!' I said encouragingly
15）He was greeted by an unpleasant smell which convinced him that I was telling the truth.
- be greeted by … 首先看到的、听到的、闻到的是……
16）A few minutes later, I was able to hurry away with precious chalk marks on my baggage.